Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Restaurants Throw Away More Than They Have To.

Depending on where you live, you likely have to sort your trash.  You separate it into what is recyclable, what is compostable, and what is trash.  You might live in an area where there are more ways things are separated, for example, my dad separates his plastic waste from his paper waste.  We do this to reuse what we can, and limit what ends up in a landfill.

Anyone who has ever been in a restaurant can imagine that a restaurant would garner a lot of waste.  Anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant knows that they do.  I have worked in a few restaurants, some privately owned, and some franchises part of huge national chains, and have always wondered why they are exempt from sorting their trash.
One giant chain I worked for was so bad at sorting trash, that the only thing they recycled were the beer bottles, and that was only because they got their deposit back for returning them.  Cans and bottles went straight into the garbage.  Same with every morcel of food left on plates, which could be composted.  Food waste decays in landfills, and creates methane, a potent greenhouse gas in the process.

I think one of the problems for restaurants, is that they tend to be very busy places.  Servers are clearing the plates, and during a dinner or lunch rush, to sort trash might seem time consuming.  I don't think it's a good enough reason.
Why should you and I be expected to sort our trash, when these giant restaurants are creating so much more waste, and sorting nothing?

No comments:

Post a Comment