Monday, 25 February 2013

Are there benefits to eating organic?


When the issue of organic food is raised, there are many differing opinions as to whether or not there are actual health benfits.  Some argue that organic foods are healthier because they aren't grown using pesticides.  Some argue that the nutritional value of organically grown foods are no different than non-organic foods.  I think it's easy to get lost in the hear say, and let your imagination go a little wild.  There has been a lot of contradiction with studies done on the topic of the health benefits of organic foods, and whether the studies were biased or flawed.
This article by Grinning Planet discusses whether there are actual health benefits to eating organic produce.

The main points for organic food:

  1. Organic foods contain higher nutrient values
  2. Organic produce contains lower pesticide residues
  3. Organic foods have little to no additives
  4. Organic foods provide better health outcomes (less time healing from injury/sickness, less sickness, etc)
Another article posted on mongabay.com discusses a study that suggests that organic tomatoes are sweeter and more nutritionally dense than tomatoes grown with pesticides.  

Before I started eating organic foods, I didn't particularly like oranges.  However, I devour the ones that come in my organic share every week pretty voraciously.  They are sweet and delicious.  Maybe there is some truth to the taste argument, but you should be the judge for yourself. 





No comments:

Post a Comment