Tuesday, 29 January 2013

On the fence

Like many people, I am concerned about what I eat and put on my body.  I remember my mother telling me as a child; "If you can't eat it, don't put it on your body!".  I think she had caught me trying to colour myself with pen or marker, but what she said has always stayed with me.  As a teenager, I was very interested in creating home made products like moisturizers, face masks, etc, in avoidance of the chemicals found in many well known and trusted store bought brands.  

If you aren't aware of the harmful chemicals found in personal products (shampoo, deodorant, face/body wash, perfume, toothpaste, makeup. etc.), then check out www.ewg.org/skindeep which is a NFP launched in 2004.  It has safety profiles for cosmetics and personal care products, and aims to shed light on what the government, manufacturers and companies don't want you to know.

More recently, I have started to eat organic fruits and vegetables through a CSA share, and am eating very little meat.  I love meat, but since I started living on my own, I haven't been buying very often.  I also watched a documentary on the treatment of livestock and the slaughter process, and that really put me off meat (but I'm not completely sure if it's permanent :S).

This blog is about my journey, because right now I am on the fence.  I'm not completely immersed in organic living, but I am on the cusp.  I am eating somewhat like a vegetarian (and sometimes vegan), but I'm not sure which way I'll go yet.


2 comments:

  1. If you need any good veggie recipes check out vegweb.com That's where I get a lot of my recipes that I try. You don't have to decide fully one way or another. Just eat less meat and see how you feel. There is room for compromise :) I'm your vegetarian/vegan expert so let me know if you have any questions at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa, I'll definitely check that site out :)

    ReplyDelete